Homeless Education

Youth In Transition McKinney Vento Program

To identify a student who may qualify for McKinney-Vento services – or for information – please contact the School Social Worker at your child's school or the Youth in Transition Coordinator.

  • Shannon Boyd - Youth in Transition Liaison

  • Youth in Transition Coordinator

  • Phyllis Davis - Data Specialist

  • Nicole Washburn - Academic Support

Student Services Department
Buncombe County Schools
175 Bingham Rd., Asheville, NC 28806

Office:  828-271-4502
Cell:  828-775-1898
Fax:  828-232-4280
Email: shannon.boyd@bcsemail.org

Annual Trends for BCS Homeless Students

On December 10, 2015, the President signed into law the Every Student Succeeds Act of 2015 (ESSA), which reauthorizes the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA). Under the previous version of ESEA (the No Child Left Behind Act), the education of homeless children and youth was included in Title X, Part C. Under ESSA, homeless education is included in Title IX, Part A.

Who Qualifies?

The term “homeless children and youth”—

  1. means individuals who lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence; and,

  2. includes— 

    • children and youths who are sharing the housing of other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or a similar reason;

    • are living in motels, hotels, trailer parks, or camping grounds due to the lack of alternative accommodations;

    • are living in emergency or transitional shelters; are abandoned in hospitals; 

    • children and youths who have a primary nighttime residence that is a public or private place not designed for or ordinarily used as a regular sleeping accommodation for human beings;

    • children and youths who are living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or train stations, or similar settings; and,

    • migratory children who qualify as homeless for the purposes of this subtitle because the children are living in circumstances described above.

McKinney-Vento Educational Rights
Information for Parents
Information for Youth
Vaya aquí para la información en español.

When a student is identified as eligible for services, s/he has the right to:

  • Go to school, no matter where you live or how long you have lived there. They must be given access to the same public education, including preschool education, provided to other children.

  • Continue in the school they attended before you became homeless or the school they last attended, if that is your choice and is feasible. If a school sends your child to a school other than the one you request, the school must provide you with a written explanation and offer you the right to appeal the decision.

  • Receive transportation to the school they attended before your family became homeless or the school they last attended, if you or a guardian requests such transportation.

  • Attend a school and participate in school programs with children who are not homeless. Children cannot be separated from the regular school program because they are homeless.

  • Enroll in school without giving a permanent address. Schools cannot require proof of residency that might prevent or delay school enrollment.

  • Enroll and attend classes while the school arranges for the transfer of school and immunization records, or any other documents required for enrollment.

  • Enroll and attend classes in the school of your choice even while the school and you seek to resolve a dispute over enrolling your children.

  • Receive the same special programs and services, if needed, as provided to all other children served in these programs.

Parents, when you move, you should do the following:

  • Contact your child’s school social worker or the Youth in Transition Coordinator for help in enrolling your child in a new school or arranging for your child to continue in his or her former school.

  • Contact the school and provide any information you think will assist the teachers in helping your child adjust to new circumstances.

  • Ask your child’s school social worker or Youth in Transition Coordinator, a shelter provider, or another charitable organization for assistance with clothing and supplies, if needed.

Community Resource Information

Lisa Phillips, State Coordinator
NC Homeless Education Program
Federal Program Monitoring and Support Services Division with NCDPI
The SERVE Center at UNCG